George S. Nolte 1995
In 1949, Mr. Nolte formed George S. Nolte, Civil Engineer and Land Surveyor It was a single employee practice, located in the City of Palo Alto, that grew with and beyond the limits of Silicon Valley. In the mid 1950s the name of his firm was modified to reflect nearly a decade of change: George S. Nolte, Consulting Civil Engineers, Inc. Again in the 1980s, it changed to its current name of Nolte and Associates.
From the early beginnings as a sole practitioner, the Nolte firm grew into one of the largest pure civil engineering firms in the nation performing noteworthy projects in all the various disciplines of civil engineering. Mr. Nolte rounded the firm and actively directed its development for three and a half decades.
During his thirty-five years at the helm, the organization performed engineering services for every city in Santa Clara County. The City of San Jose, the Santa Clara Valley Water District, and the County itself were among its largest clients. The firm has been responsible for much of the infrastructure in Santa Clara County having planned and designed countless public works projects that serve or protect the many residents and employees of Silicon Valley. The achievements of the organization are a tribute to Mr. Nolte’s leadership and innate ability to attract outstanding people to head the various departments within the firm.
In addition to his professional accomplishments, Mr. Nolte was an active participant in many professional societies and civic organizations. Mr. Nolte, a native of Bellingham, Washington, attended Western Washington University and the University of Washington. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from the Polytechnic College of Engineering in Oakland, California in 1940.